Saturday, June 13, 2009

Afternoon in a Gallery

Apart from trying to get my stuff together for Handmade Heaven I also managed to squeeze in a visit to the Queensland Art Gallery(Brisbane) on Tuesday. I went to see the American Impressionism & Realism exhibition.

For the first time a selection of 71 paintings (by 34 painters) from New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art is on display. Included are many of the Metropolitan’s best examples in the American Impressionist and Realist traditions which have never before been displayed together and are not likely to be lent again as an ensemble. The exhibition features the works of celebrated American artists of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

I am a big fan of the great French painters of the day and I could see glimpses of influence from their work. Some of my favourite paintings were “At the seaside” by William Merritt Chase and “Bathing hour” by E Phillips Fox.

The exhibition will close on 20th September 2009
At the seaside - W. M. Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment